The Saranac Lake 6er program is designed to increase visitors and tourism in Saranac Lake by using the “Adirondack 46er” model to bring hikers to the six nearby mountain peaks encircling Saranac Lake: McKenzie Mt., Ampersand Mt., Scarface Mt., Haystack Mt., St. Regis Mt., and Mt. Baker.
There is a need to market the other great hiking mountains in the Adirondack Park to more evenly distribute the traffic and to introduce visitors to other outstanding areas of the Adirondack Park and the Saranac Lake 6er Program will do just that.
Become a 6er : Become an official “Saranac Lake 6er” by climbing all 6 mountains on or after May 25, 2013 and then sending the following information to us:
1. Date you climbed each of the six mountains
2. Time (at the summit) of the mountain you finished on
3. Your mailing and email address
4. $5 for postage and handling
Once the Village of Saranac Lake receives the correctly completed information, each finisher will be sent a confirmation letter with an official member number (all numbers awarded in order of completed applications received) plus a “6er” patch and sticker. Your name will be added to the member roster found at www.saranaclake6er.com. Please include $5 for postage & handling, with checks made payable to the Saranac Lake Special Events Fund, and mail to:
Village of Saranac Lake
39 Main Street
Saranac Lake, NY 12983
‘Ring the Bell’. Tradition will have it that once a person finishes climbing the Saranac Lake 6 then he or she is entitled to ring. “The 6er Bell” which will be erected upon Berkeley Green in the heart of our village and a righteous place for celebratory picture taking.
You may take as long as you wish to climb the 6 peaks, even if it takes many years.
If you finish the 6 peaks in a continuous 24 hours, then you may become an “Ultra 6er.”
For those attempting to become the first ‘Saranac Lake 6er’ or an ‘Ultra 6er’ on the May 25 start date, hikers must:
1. Register at Berkeley Green (park in Downtown Saranac Lake)
2. Registration begins at 7AM
3. Official start is 8AM
4. Hikers must leave from Berkeley Green
5. Hikers must end at Berkeley Green
6. Vehicular safety. When going to and from trailheads all traffic laws are to be obeyed. Hikers in a ticketed vehicle going to and from a trailhead during 6er Weekend will be disqualified from the top-numbered 6er numbers.
*Mountains climbed before this date are not eligible. All six must be climbed on or after May 25, 2013.
The 6 Peaks:
1. McKenzie (3861′)
2. Ampersand (3365′)
3. Scarface (3060′)
4. Haystack (2878′)
5. St. Regis (2874′)
6. Baker (2340′)
Location Saranac Lake, New York 12983
Phone (518) 891-4150